Friday, December 28, 2007

Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando, Florida, December 21, 2007



The city: Orlando is actually a really cool city. Not too big, perfect weather, a nice combination of chain and individual restaraunts (believe me, I partook in both), and things to do (about 45 minutes from Daytona Beach). And you can't forget Disney World! Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to visit the "happiest place on Earth;" however, I was surprised by how little this major tourist attraction interfered with life in Orlando. That was nice.

The program: The Orlando Regional Medical Center program is a pretty solid academic/community program mix. They are associated with both the Arnold Palmer children's hospital and also the Winnie Palmer women's and children's hospital, both of which, of course, are gorgeous. The residents do quite a bit of trauma (4800 trauma admits last year) and ICU work, which I liked. And the attendings that I met with were really friendly and laid back. They seemed to like me as well. The residents get 3 weeks off during the year, in addition to a fourth week either during Christmas or New Year's. However, the interview day was really disorganized, and myself and the other applicants did a lot of sitting around and waiting! :(

The residents: The ORMC program is pretty small--only 4 categorical residents per class. And most of the residents seemed to be from the south--despite this, they didn't seem too much like beach bums! They were all very friendly and helpful, and said that ORMC was one of their top choices for the match. Once again, I felt a lot younger than all the residents, but it didn't seem to bother me as much this time.

No comments: