Sunday, January 6, 2008

Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, January 4, 2008



So, my first interview of the New Year. A little freaky that we are actually in the same calendar year as graduation. Won't think about that right now.

The program: It seems that the surgery program at the Cleveland Clinic is pretty solid. The one thing that bothered me is that the surgical oncology experience is scattered throughout other surgical services, like there isn't a separate oncology service. Not sure why that bugs me, it just does. There are 4 residents per year, and they have a night float system, which limits their call, and they don't pre-round, which is nice. Several residents said this was probably one of the "easiest surgical residencies there is." There are quite a few fellows, but since the clinic is quite literally a monster medical center, they have a ridiculous amount of cases, and everyone gets plenty. The term "clinic" is quite misleading, as the medical center has 39 buildings and miles of skyway (seriously, people walk around it for exercise, see picture). The Clinic also has 36,000 employees! My dad keeps saying, "Case, the Cleveland Clinic is like one of the best hospitals in the world!" Yes, Dad, I know.

The residents: There are four residents per class at the Cleveland Clinic, which is pretty small. However, they were all very friendly and seemed really happy. They were not excited about paying $50 a month for parking, though. Although they do enjoy chips and salsa, to which I can relate.

The city: Hmm, I have to admit I'm not very excited about the city of Cleveland, and I'm not quite sure why. It seems like there are things to do, but it just seems kind of dirty and icky. There are pro-sports teams, but, of course, none of them have Joe Mauer.

No comments: