Monday, January 28, 2008

Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, January 24, 2008

The city: So, the city of East Lansing is about 4 hours from Columbus, and has an interesting mix of state capital and BigTen college campus feel. A little like Columbus, but not as big. It seems like there are some things to do, and the city is really affordable to live in.

The program: So, the MSU program rotates through two hospitals. The first one is in East Lansing (Sparrow--I forgot to take a picture of it, but you can imagine what it looks like--a tall building that says "Sparrow" on it). The other is McLaren, which is in Flint. Unfortunately, Flint is an hour away, and the residents have to commute for the rotations that they have there (which is about half the time). They don't get housing in Flint, although they do get reimbursed $300 a month for gas. Also, one of my interviewers happened to tell me that MSU's program has a "proposed probation." The residents insisted that "all those issues have been resolved," but it's still up in the air that if I matched there in July, the program could be on probation.

The residents: All the residents seemed like pretty cool midwest folks, and I enjoyed them very much. There is one resident that swore a lot, and (I'm not sure if it's because of this), but another resident kept looking at me and telling me that, "if you're really PC, then this might not be the place for you." Weird.

From East lansing I drover over to Detroit and flew to Minneapolis.

No comments: