Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hurricane Ike Update #25

Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 11:38pm

HI everyone,

I still have a few more pictures to upload, so I will do that soon.

In addition, I have continued to hear from other residents regarding their homes, condos, and apartments on the island, and the tales they have about the destruction are just heart-wrenching. Many have several feet of standing water in their homes, with complete destruction of their furniture and other belongings. They are trying to salvage their valuables and head out, and then are waiting for their places to get fixed by their landlord, or destroyed.

As far as our residency, we received news today that we are being placed at other hospitals until atleast November. About 12 of the general surgery residents will be at St. Joseph's Hospital in Houston, while the other 8 will be at Seton Hospital in Austin (I'm in the latter group). The program directors and coordinators are working on finding housing for us in those cities. Apparently it's going to be more than 2-4 weeks before UTMB is up and running and fully functioning.

***Many of you have expressed interest in sending things to us down in Galveston, and I have decided that I'm going to start some "resident relief efforts" to help the residents whose places got damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Ike (and by residents, I mean the surgery residents in my program). I have already contacted all the residents, and they are going to send me any specific needs that they may have. I will then put up an address for people to send things to, once we get established (it may be either Houston or Austin, since no one will be in Galveston for a while), and I will also email it out to everyone I know. We're not expecting anyone to send furniture or anything major, but it seems like most people are going to need simple things like kitchen gadgets, maybe even some gift cards, or food. I know we're doctors, but the idea of starting your life over from scratch is a scary prospect...

So I hope everyone keeps reading this blog and can help us out in whatever way possible! More info when I have it. Thanks a million!!!!!! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey I graduated from UTMB in 2007 and I am in Los Angeles doing my residency now. I wanna help as much as I can. Let me know and I can send some easy things like gift cards to help some of the residents. my email is anousheh80@yahoo.com I love Galveston, so many good memories thre...My thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

Unknown said...

Hey- Austin is pretty cool.

Keep me posted (ha-post!) on resident needs. I can see if I can gather some collections from people at work and family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey, I found your blog through iReporter on CNN. I actually live in Austin, so if you find yourself looking for something in particular shot me an email at MLBR1275@austin.rr.com. I am sure that you will have a wonderful experience here once you get settled. By the way, thanks for keeping everyone abreast as to what was going on during Ike, I know many people appreciate it. Let me know what you are lacking once you get here and I will try and come up with some donations for you and your counterparts as well. Take care, Michelle