Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bring it on, Ike!


So, I have officially been declared "E1: Essential Personnel" for Hurricane Ike. That means that I had to leave work early today to come back and get all my stuff ready, then return to UTMB by 7pm tonight. Then I get to stay until Sunday! Ack. Atleast they give us free food while we're here.

There is now a mandatory evauation for Galveston Island, which means that everyone is heading out and everything will be closed--offices, schools, even shelters. We also started evacuating patients this morning at 9am. The state of Texas has promised to provide the transportation for the patients, so there are buses and ambulances lined up outside the hospital to take the patients to a hospital in Austin. We have discharged as many as possible, and of course some of our patients are too fragile to transport, but most everyone else is leaving.

So I've started getting my apartment ready--I'm not too worried since I live on the second story of an apartment building that was built in the 1960s. But I have put tape on my windows (apparently this helps if the glass shatters), and later on I'm going to move my tv, Wii, and computer away from the windows. I've also turned up my freezer and refridgerator to the max amount of cold, so in case we lose power my stuff'll stay fresh as long as possible. I've packed up some games, books, food, and movies, for my 60 hour fun-fest at the hospital.

More postings and some pics to come....

No comments: