Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike Update #12

Friday, September 12, 2008, 9:13pm

So, earlier today some of the other residents convinced me to send in my pictures and blog to CNN. So I emailed ireport with some pics and the link to this blog.

Well, at dinner tonight I got a call from a strange area code, and it turned out it was a woman from CNN! She interviewed me and then said that they are looking for people to call in tonight for their live show! I asked what time they are taking callers, and she said they have Anderson Cooper tonight (and I found out it starts at 9pm CT). So I gave them my cell phone number, and later a landline number (since the power is out and the cell phone towers aren't working), and she said they would call me. So now we're all waiting around by the landline to see if they call. However, we have no power, so we can't watch the TV in the call room!

I tried to look outside and get some pictures, but it's totally black, and nearly impossible to open the door to the stairwell due to the wind.

I'll try to post more this evening, but I have to sign off for now to save power...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Case-- You are awesome. I sent the email to many friends and all are sending love and prayer power to you and the people with you. We all love the photos and the blogs about what is happening down there. If you could take pix of some of the people you are with, and yourself, we would love to see everyone involved. Love ya, Mommo

Brian said...

Casey, I hope you all stay safe. I just graduated from UTMB in May and I'm now doing residency in FL. Your pictures and videos come so much closer to me than anything the news puts out- I spent many nights NOT sleeping in that callroom, hehe. I recognize that blue house in your picture, and I can't count the number of times I drove/ran/rode my bike past the flagship hotel in your video. Before I left I sold my house in fish village and it would break my heart if that house flooded.

When things get safe, and if they give you a break and some sleep in the next couple of days, and if you happen to go out on a photo shoot anyway, could you snap some around fish village for me? Its the houses east of 4th street (esp east of Marine), west of Ferry, and north of Harborside. I lived on Albacore.

I really hope things turn out OK, just like they somehow did after Rita (which was a NIGHTMARE, I'm sure you've already heard a thousand times...)

Thanks Casey and good night

Anonymous said...

I found your blog thru your CNN post. I hope all of you remain safe through this long and devestating weekend!

Brian said...

Have you gotten to work with Dr. Nealon yet? He was my favorite. Smart, always level-headed even under stress, and always treated students and residents like real people. Some of the others, who shall remain anonamous for now, are among my least favorite people of all time.

Are any recent UTMB grads there with you now?

-Brian

Anonymous said...

Im from galveston and curently stuck in Dallas, and just cannot find enough info on the island. The news stations keep saying the same thing, and it means little to me. Your blog had some great info in it... thanks from all of us here! Good luck! Dallas has some great hospitals, hope they suit you well.