Saturday, November 17, 2007

Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, November 14, 2007







So, this week was my first interview at Temple University, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I will try to go about this in an organized fashion:

The town: Philadelphia has some really cute parts, including a lot of historical stuff and arts. I actually had a few free hours before my flight out, so I was able to see both the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall (the location of the writing of the Constitution), the former Pennsylvania State House. However, a lot of Philadelphia is kind of crappy and dangerous. I've already heard some stories about people being mugged within their first week of moving there. There's a reason they have the highest rate of penetrating trauma in the state!

The program: I actually liked the Temple program quite a bit. They do a bunch of trauma and surgical oncology, which I liked. But they take q3 call, which I was not pumped about. One of the residents even told us that the nurses were not that great. The strengths of the program that were presented to me included the diversity of faculty, operative experience (~100 cases intern year), and the fact that the residents like each other. The one weakness that kept coming up was research.

The residents: Here's the kicker for me: I didn't really feel like I fit in with the residents. There were TONS of women (3 of out of 5 classes had 6 women out of 7 residents), which was a little bit of a turn-off for me, for some reason. All most of the girls were kind of prissy. I don't know--first impression: they weren't my kind of people.

But, all in all, I felt like it was a good first interview experience. Now I'll see if I can get some picures up here! :)


No comments: