Sunday, March 4, 2007

There's no place like home...

So, I made it back to the United States without too much hassle. We did indeed get closer and closer to the airport throughout the night, but around 1:30, after trying to sleep in the car, we realized that Torremolinos was in fact a super sketchball town, so we headed to Malaga, and arrived at the airport at 2 am. Dan C., Jamie, and Mia all slept at the airport, but Dan K. and I were wide awake (maybe it's all those nights on call). As we were waiting, we saw a homeless crazy woman talking to herself and who also told us she was from Mexico. Later on we saw a homeless man (also in the airport terminal) who pulled down his pants and sat down on the seats by the arrivals (about 100 feet from us) like he was going to the bathroom. He sat there for a while, adjusted himself, and after a few minutes pulled his pants back up and went about his other business. We later saw him take off his shoes and sleep on the ground using one of those luggage dollies as a pillow.

I had the first flight out of Malaga at 6:30 (slept the whole way), then had more of the same craziness at the Madrid airport (see previous posts), but was able to sleep for about 5 out of the 8 hours on the plane (those eye masks and ear plugs might just be my new best friends). Then got into icky JFK, taxi-ed on the runway for about an hour, then got into Columbus tonight around 7:15. At this point I had been at an airport or on a plane for the last 23 hours, and was desperate for home. Amanda picked me up, and we headed for--big surprise here--Chipotle, where I was heckled for still having my eye mask around my neck.

Anyway, back home, still working on unpacking and doing laundry, and organizing all of my 260 pictures from the trip. Back to work tomorrow, which I'm actually kind of excited about, although the 6 hour time change could throw me for a loop. I'm really looking forward to a normal-sized bed and a full-strength shower!

Stay tuned for lots of pictures from each of the 10 cities we visited! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. :)
I got your postcard. Thank you! :)