Thursday, July 30, 2009

Life in Prison




Have I ever mentioned how much I love prisoners? Well, the prisoner patients, that is. Here's why:

1. They are so grateful! Unfortunately, they have had all their rights taken away in the prison system, so any attention they get, any little speck of kindness, a word of compassion, is invaluble to them. It's such a breath of fresh air compared to the free world.

2. They love hospital food! They get really excited about the food in the hospital, and even request "double portions" sometimes. Compare this to the free world patients, who will have their friends and family bring them Whataburger because they can't stand even the smell of the hospital food. It all depends on your perspective, I guess.

3. Violence is a reality to them, and it must be discussed. I hate hate hate sending my patient who have had big surgical procedures back to their unit. Unfortunately, the chances that they could get attacked or beat up at their unit, or picked on because they are tired and slow-moving during their recovery from surgery, are pretty high. Because of this, I've had some TDC patients beg me not to send them back to their unit, because they won't be able to defend themselves if need be. This is so different from my life (thankfully), but it's a reality for them, and that's scary. I will gladly send them to an infirmary for as long as they need to recover.

4. They are desperate to see their families. If the TDC patients are in the ICU, considered in "critical" condition, or are in the infirmary, their families can come visit them. I've also had patients beg me to keep them in an infirmary for another week or two so they can see their families again. Once again, I will gladly keep them in the infirmary for as long as they need--it doesn't make a difference to me, and it could mean the world to them.

A sidenote: Don't ever, ever, look up what they did to get in prison. It will change the way you look at them forever. Once, I was going to look up my favorite TDC patient, because I was curious to see what he had done. Well, the website was taking so long to load, so I figured it must be a sign from God to not go there--and I haven't typed in that web address since (not that the students and other residents don't look it up and tell me--but that's not by choice!). And in fact, what they did to get in prison has no bearing whatsoever on my taking care of them the best that I can. I am treating the patient, and that's all that matters to me.

Although the ones that I have found out about, I am actually surprised by how gracious and kind and, at times, well educated they are. I think this is a testimony to the prison system and it's ability to reform former-convicts. It really challenges the idea of the death penalty, in my mind.

Ok, enough philosophical mumbo-jumbo. Of to do some Turbo Jam! :)

No comments: